For the economic stability and livelihoods of the tribes, Congress passed the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (October 17, 1988). This legislation approved Class III casino games on Indian Reservations. The law also gave Indian tribes the opportunity to enter into management agreements with outside investors to develop gambling opportunities. In the early 1990s, the three affiliates entered into a compact game with the state of North Dakota. The tribes renovated the existing Four Bears Motor Lodge (1974, Office of Economic Opportunity Project), converted the small gas station into a convenience store, and built a recreation centre. The Four Bears Casino and Lodge was opened to the public on July 16, 1993. More than 90% of the 322 employees were members of the tribe. The Four Bears Casino and Lodge currently offers accommodation, a restaurant, live entertainment, various forms of gaming and a video arcade. A bingo hall has been added to accommodate more than 300 players. Another concern was the disagreement over the allocation of the US$7,500,000 that Congress had acquired in 1949. On November 13, 1950, land experts arrived at Fort Berthold to ask the public to accept or reject the 1948 assessments. According to an administration official, an overwhelming majority of landowners have accepted the assessments. In January 1951, road investigations were completed and work was to begin as soon as funds had been released.
The relocation committee developed a relocation plan that identified agricultural potential and how a portion of the area should be used, and each household was referred to soil classification. Unlike the Class I and Class II basements, these wings were Class III to Class VI. AGREEMENT AT FORT BERTHOLD 1866 When other settlers flocked to the West, the government approached, under pressure from railways and settlers for more land, tribes to cede other lands. On July 27, 1866, the Arickaras (Sahnish) signed an agreement granting such priority rights to the territories east of Missouri in exchange for a pension of $10,000 for the next twenty years. When the treaty was submitted for ratification, Congress added an endorsement to the agreement, including mandan and Hidatsa in its terms, and provided for the surrender of an area on the east bank of Missouri, about forty times twenty-five miles. (Kappler, 1904-41, report. Ed. 1971, 2, 1052 to 56). In 1898, the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara petitioned the President of the United States requesting permission to send a delegation to Washington to present their demands.
When nothing came out of these efforts, they were in 1911, recalling in Washington the history of tribal government relations.